Thursday, August 20, 2009

Major tail problem with new assembly. Pitch/Throttle Curves.

OK so I got a 3rd party aluminum tail assembly for my TREX 450XL. Installed it and as far as I can tell, everything is setup the same. But when I go to fly, as soon as the rotors get fast enough to start providing lift the heli will just want to spin around. I did name some tweaks to my gyro travel but if anything I think I made them better. The 3rd party tail assembly otherwise matched up perfectly with the aluminum Align tail grips that I installed as I was building it (I stripped the plastic ones during the build). My only complaint was that it was really frickin' tight to get onto the end of the tail boom.

As to the cause, I THINK I know the problem but I don't think I will have time to try and fix it till Sunday evening at the very earliest. I think that I have my tail grips on backwards, meaning that when the gryo moves to provide right rudder it is actually causing left rudder, the gyro tries to correct by providing right rudder causing even more LEFT rudder so it just spins out of control. I think if I just take the tail partially apart and turn my grips around all will be well. Everything else is the same as far as I can tell, but I have never paid attention to the direction of the blades in relation to the movement of the stick. This would make sense too since I realized that the screws on my blade grips are facing the wrong way.

Otherwise it has been super smooth sailing, or should I say flying. The guys out at Bayside RC have been really helpful in getting my bird flying really smooth. All that is left is to try and dial in better pitch and throttle curves. This is what I was experimenting with last night making sure I had greater head speed and used more pitch control for lift, as this will make her naturally better at dealing with the wind, it will lower my flight time a bit but I am usually only putting 1600mAh back into my packs in an 8 min hover practice session and I don’t hover in one spot. I practice in several locations around my area.

I have also been neglecting my simulator, I need to focus on things I currently can't do at all in reality, like nose in, and 90 degrees right, pirouettes, orbits, circles and figure eights. I will be a happy camper when I can do that stuff comfortably and then start focusing on faster and faster forward flight.

Thanks for reading, will have an update on Monday or Tuesday on my tail issue, oh and check out my YouTube, I posted an amazing video of a monster 1.8 meter 17 pound scale electric heli. http://www.youtube.com/user/helidragon510 Sorry I can't do a direct link as YouTube is blocked here at work. The video is the most recent upload at the time of posting this blog. I have a few videos of the guys at Bayside helping me out that I am planning on posting early next week, in HD of course. But I don't have time over the weekend to do it and I am also waiting for permission from someone.

- HeliDragon

No comments:

Post a Comment