Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Flight Journal: 1 flight last night...

Only had time for 1 flight last night. I think LiPo batteries work better after a few charges. The first full pack I did I barely got 9 min, but last night (about my 5th flight) I ran for 10.5 min by accident. I got up in the air, tail in. It was a bit windy but I kept it about 10 feet up and even though I know wind is unpredictable, and if it would gust hard enough I probably could not react fast enough to deal with it, I wanted the challenge. After doing my best to hold steady for about 6 minutes I brought it down low and slowly swooped her over to the left (tail in) angling the nose to the right about 40 degrees, and swooped to the right, then brought her up steady. I did the same thing again only I nosed into the left. I did this back and fourth a few times. I was wobbly and it was scary but I didn't crash. My training gear did touch down on more than one occasion.

After that I think I had like 30 sec left on the timer so I took her back to center and held her about 2 feet off the ground, doing half orbits around me. I heard the alarm go off so I set it down on a spot I like to land, and then glanced down at the timer, 30 seconds! “Oh I still have 30 seconds I thought.” So I took her back up for another 2 min and when I did not hear the alarm and noticed I was loosing a little head speed I set her back down and looked at the timer, oops 2min 30 sec! The sun was setting. I Called it a night.

Right now all I want to do is fly forward slowly. Little circles and eventually little slow figure 8's. It’s crazy to think that this machine I am controlling is capable of such speed and power, but all I can do is hover it. It’s like driving a sports car but you can only let in the clutch and idle it around the track at 2 miles an hour. Really boggles the mind. Thanks for reading,

- HeliDragon

No comments:

Post a Comment